Match report: Hull City 1 Queens Park Rangers 1

September 22, 2015

Our 100% home record this season goes, but there are few complaints from James Chestney.

He could have been wearing the amber and black of Hull City . . . but he isn’t.  Charlie Austin almost came back to haunt the Tigers against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Steve Bruce was the first to admit they should have signed the striker but he allegedly failed a medical due to a dodgy knee – we may never know the real reason, but there you go. It took a goal from skipper Michael Dawson to get the Tigers a point and take their tally to fourteen for the season.

This was a game between two relegated sides harbouring aspirations of a quick return to the top flight as quickly as possible. They were both able to create chances but lacked the cutting edge to go all out and win the game.

The trouble for City – and for every other side in the division – is that the games come thick and fast with lots of them in midweek. At the other end of the scale there are international breaks which see some players able to rest and others flying halfway round the world.

Bruce admitted the game, City’s third in eight days, was a struggle and they fell behind when Austin popped up to score his sixth goal of the season. It came from a corner sent in by Massimo Luongo with the striker heading the ball home.

This came with 26 minutes gone but twelve minutes later the Tigers were level with the honours going to centre back Dawson. A Tom Huddlestone free kick saw the ball floated in for Dawson to head home from close range.

This was how it stayed for the remainder of the game with neither side creating any clear cut chances to speak of. In the first minute of the second half Sone Aluko forced a save from Robert Green and then should have done better from an Andrew Robertson cross.

Down the other end Rangers forward Tjaronn Chery missed the best chance for a winner when he fired over after great work from Matty Phillips. The game ended as a stalemate and it’s possible QPR will be the happier of the two sides in taking a point away from the KC Stadium.

Next up for the Tigers are the Swans in the Capital One Cup before the visit of Blackburn Rovers to the KC Stadium on Saturday.