Match report: Accrington Stanley 2 Hull City 2 (3-4 penalties)

August 12, 2015

Ollie Harsley describes what was an enjoyable (well, football aside) experience in the League Cup.

Excitement? Tension? #TypicalCity? These are just 3 of the ways to describe the events on Tuesday night as Hull City made themselves work very hard against Accrington Stanley to go through to the 2nd round of the Capital One Cup. The first half was instantly forgettable as neither side produced good shots on target to trouble either goalkeeper so the fans at the Wham Stadium were left bored to tears.

The second half was just as bad from a Hull point of view as Accrington slowly grew into the game. Stanley midfielder Josh Windass was the instigator in creating chance after chance in order to try and dump The Tigers out of the cup and cement his place in the history books. Windass had a 25 yard free kick just go over the bar and even had another excellent free kick saved by Hull goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic.

Extra time was the outcome at the end of the 90 minutes; it was far more entertaining in fact than what was experienceded throughout the 90 minutes before it. Substitute Chuba Akpom gave The Tigers the lead in the 92nd minute through a calm and expertly placed finish in the bottom corner of the net. Just on the stroke of half time, though, Matt Crooks equalised for Accrington. On the 108th minute, Greg Luer scored his first ever senior goal for Hull City to put them 1-2 ahead at the Wham Stadium. However, Hull were pegged back again when Stanley striker Terry Gornell scored.

The game then had to go a penalty shootout to decide who would win and it would be as dramatic as it could get. Greg Luer and Chuba Akpom both scored confident penalties for Hull whilst Josh Windass scored a clever penalty for Accrington. Harry Maguire and David Meyler both missed their penalties when they should have scored. It was then sudden death with the penalty shootout deadlocked at 3-3. Curtis Davies strolled up and confidently put The Tigers 4-3 ahead. Matt Crooks blazed his penalty over the bar to confirm that Hull City had reached the 2nd round of the Capital One Cup in dramatic style.

Those 1097 Hull City fans who made the trip to Accrington won’t forget this game in a hurry as it was a fantastic opportunity to witness their side play against such a cult Skybet League 2 side. Accrington Stanley? Who are they?